Many people enjoy the luxury of being able to flip a switch and “turn on” their fireplace when the weather gets chilly. Just like any other appliance in your home, your gas fireplace is prone to d…Read More
Many homeowners don’t realize the importance of making sure their dryer vents are cleaned. If not regularly cleaned out, your dryer vents can lead to a house fire. Every year, approximately 15 people die, and 400 people are injured from a dryer vent-caused fire. Over time, lint and excess dust and fabric from clothes build up in your dryer vents, causing your dryer to exhaust less efficiently, and therefore more likely to start a fire. Not only that, but if your dryer doesn’t have the proper ventilation, it will release deadly carbon monoxide into your home. Dryer vents only need to be cleaned approximately once per year, significantly decreasing your risk of a house fire.
Reasons to clean your dryer vents
- Clothes take twice as long to dry.
- Dryer runs at extremely high temperature
- You notice a burning smell.
- Your dryer flap doesn’t open properly.
- It’s been longer than a year since your last inspection.
Don’t wait for problems to arise! Take care of your dryer vents before you’re taking care of the aftermath of a disaster. The Chimney Safety Institute of America advises you have a CSIA certified technician inspect and clean your dryer vents. Call 1st Choice Chimney today, and make sure your dryer vents are clean and working properly! If you have two or more services done at the same time, we’ll take $10 off each service! Call today!
Signs Your Dryer Vent Needs To Be Cleaned
If you notice any of the following signs, call your local dryer vent cleaners today. Any one of these could be an indication of a high risk of a fire in your home, as well as carbon dioxide poisoning.
- Your dryer takes longer than normal to dry your clothes. If your dryer takes longer than 40 minutes to dry a small load, that is a sign that something may not be functioning properly with your dryer vent.
- Your clothes smell musty and like mildew. If your clothes smell funky, this is from a lack of proper drying. If something is preventing your dryer from letting hot, moist air out, your dryer won’t be able to function properly and will become a major fire hazard.
- Your clothes are more warm to the touch after a cycle than usual, but still not fully dry. If your clothes run a normal cycle-time but are still damp and hot to the touch, that is a reflection of inadequate ventilation.
- It’s been over a year since your last dryer vent cleaning. It is recommended that you get your dryer vents cleaned about once per year. If it’s been several years since your last cleaning, it is a hazard to you and your loved ones. Call us at 1st Choice Chimney.
- The temperature in your laundry room is hotter than usual, or if you notice a burning smell. If your laundry room is hot, that is a sign that there is extra hot air that is not being directed through your dryer’s ventilation system properly. This is a dangerous sign, because it means that hot air is circulating around your laundry room and could catch fire at any moment.
- Large amounts of lint are accumulating in the lint trap, or your dryer flap doesn’t open properly. When your dryer vents aren’t cleaned, this means your dryer has to work harder to do its job properly. This will add wear and tear to your machine, and your lint trap will fill up quicker because air isn’t being ventilated properly.
If you are experiencing any of these signs, call 1st Choice Chimney today! Your favorite chimney people are also experts in dryer vent cleaning! We will take away the danger of your uncleaned dryer vent and, as a result, restore your dryer to working condition. Don’t live with a life-threatening fire hazard in your home any longer!