How Common Are Dryer Fires?
- Dryer fires are extremely common. Approximately 2,900 house fires started by dryers are reported each year. They cause an estimated 15 deaths each year, around 400 injuries, and cause approximately $35 million in property loss.
- The leading cause of dryer fires is the failure to have the dryer vent cleaned.
- The majority of fires caused by the lack of a clean dryer vent started with the ignition of a clothing item that was being dried, or a piece of lint in the dryer vent.
Your dryer is more likely to cause a fire than your furnace, stove, and chimney combined. That’s why it is especially important to make sure that your dryer vents are cleaned somewhat regularly. Prolonged drying cycles have the potential to overheat the lint trapped in the dryer vent, causing it to ignite and start a fire.
Who Needs a Dryer Vent Cleaning?
Everyone who owns a dryer should have their dryer vent cleaned. Every dryer uses the same basic system and therefore has a dryer vent behind it. The main purpose of the dryer vent is to get the moisture in the air out of the dryer. If the air inside the dryer is dry, then your clothes will dry; if not, your dryer has to work harder to do its job. All clothes generate lint, and your dryer’s lint trap is designed to capture it so that it doesn’t clog your dryer vent. It’s not always 100 percent effective, however, and sometimes there is lint that escapes through the lint trap and builds up inside the dryer vent. When the dryer vent becomes clogged with lint, it becomes more difficult for your dryer to effectively dry your clothes, working harder and generating more heat. This extra heat poses as a fire hazard.
Can I Clean My Own Dryer Vent?
Technically, you can clean your dryer vent on your own. However, there are large risks associated with doing this. Unless you are a professional, your chances of doing the job right and having the necessary equipment are small. A professional has the knowledge, experience, and tools to do a thorough job and completely ensure your safety. At 1st Choice Chimney, our dryer vent cleaning experts will take good care of you and your home. We specialize in the highest quality, timely, and cost-effective dryer vent cleaning services.
Dryer Vent Cleaning And Cost
When a dryer vent is clogged with lint, airflow is restricted, which causes your dryer to run longer and use more power. This uses unnecessary energy, which increases your utility bills greatly and puts your dryer at risk for either a breakdown or a fire. The cost of having your dryer vents cleaned pale in comparison to the repair or replacement of your dryer. In addition to the risk of a fire, if your clothes are exposed to extreme heat, they are at risk of being ruined (especially the delicate items). Calling a professional dryer vent cleaning team saves you not only the cost of repairing your dryer, but also reduces your utility bill, saves your clothes, and keeps you protected from a potential house fire.
How To Keep Your Dryer Vents Clean Between Professional Cleanings
- Try to limit your use of dryer sheets in the dryer and liquid fabric softener in the washer. Residue from dryer sheets can clog the lint trap, and oils from fabric softener can be flammable in the dryer.
- Only dry your clothes in 30-40 minute cycles. This will allow for less lint build-up over time.
- Hang dry heavier clothing like bedding, pillows, other larger articles of clothing.
- Use a shop vacuum to remove debris from around the outside of the dryer vents, inside the dryer, and around the lint trap to remove lint that can get trapped there.
Many homeowners don’t realize the importance of making sure their dryer vents are cleaned. If not regularly cleaned out, your dryer vents can lead to a house fire. Every year, approximately 15 people die, and 400 people are injured from a dryer vent-caused fire. Lint and excess dust and fabric from clothes build up in your dryer vents over time. This causes your dryer to exhaust less efficiently, and therefore be more likely to catch on fire. Further, if your dryer doesn’t have the proper ventilation, it will release deadly carbon monoxide into your home. Dryer vents only need to be cleaned approximately once per year, and your risk of a house fire will significantly go down.
1st Choice Chimney is Dallas Fort-Worth and Austin’s premier chimney sweep and dryer vent cleaning specialists. We make sure your home is safe for you and your loved ones to live in, as well as in its best condition. Contact us today to schedule your appointment with your friendly dryer vent cleaning experts.